While the New Year is swiftly approaching, everyone is trying to figure out what their resolutions will be, how to become a better version of themselves in the New Year, and how to ring in 2019. This may be overwhelming for some if they have not given their New Year any thought, but for others, it may be more exciting since they have an exact idea of how they would like the New Year to pan out for them.
My best friend and I have been discussing our New Years and now have officially planned how to ring it in since we want 2019 to be the best year ever for us. Since I will be spending it in DC with her, I brought up the idea of us creating vision boards together, but then she introduced me to something even more powerful; a vision statement. I have never heard of such a concept before therefore she directed me to an article featured on Medium by NYTimes Best-Selling Author, Luvvie Ajayi. After reading this amazing article I MUST write a vision statement and I cannot wait to see how everything comes into fruition for me and my best friend!
As a SISta, whether you are planning your New Year alone, with your friends, or with your family, we want you to be able to plan out your new year in the best way possible. With that said, take the time to read the 5 key takeaways along with my elaborations on what I have learned after reading this mind altering article by Luvvie.
- “Vision Statements. We were told to write a letter to someone as if it was 10 years in the future. Write it and describe what you’re doing, who you’re around, where you’re living. Be as descriptive as you want.”
- Personally, this is quite intimidating to think that far ahead, but it is necessary. It forces you to envision what you really want out of life and what you believe your life purpose is. I am still working on my letter that I began a few months ago, and as long as its done before the ball drops into 2019 then, mission accomplished!
- “I don’t know if it’s the act of writing it down that makes it real or if there’s a magical Vision Statement Fairy that grants wishes. I am ever thankful that I wrote down my dreams for the future so present me can have some concrete things to work towards.”
- Something magical takes place when you take the time to write out your hopes and dreams; realistic ones. Ones that you can truly envision to the point that you can smell, touch and even feel it, those are the ones that the Universe will meet you half way on as long as you work diligently towards what you have written down as your vision.
- “Life entrepreneurship: It was all about figuring out where we were, where we wanted to go and the habits we have that help and hurt.”
- Before you can even write down a vision statement, you must be self aware of where you are, where you want to be, and what have helped you grow and what has kept you stagnant. The whole concept of “life entrepreneurship” is literally mapping out the blueprint of your life in hopes that what you have written out becomes exactly what you have envisioned.
- “THINK BIG, GIRL. Because: why not?”
- If you write out a minimal vision statement, just know that you will reap what you sow. Write out something that scares you because if you dont stretch yourself you will never become what you really want to be.
- Today, I look back on those months following that statement I didn’t think much of and realize that I was getting a lesson of “be careful what you ask for.” I was also learning that when our dreams are presented to us when they are not the right time, they will not come to pass. It’s like trying to harvest crops before they’re ripe.
- One thing that Luvvie mentioned is that when everything that she initially wrote down began to come to life, she was not ready so she was unable to embrace the blessings that came into her life at that time. Therefore, she recalibrated, wrote it down again with the mentality that she is ready to receive every vision that she has written down. So, what I take away from that is make sure you are ready for what you write down because once its written, that is you telling the Universe you are indeed ready to receive.
I hope this serves as a reminder that it is important to write your visions down! Nevertheless, I hope everyone rings in the New Year in the best way possible and that everything you wite down comes to fruition.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year, SIStas!!